healthy but fun recipes to make with your toddler
if you've shopped one of our kodomo locations, you will know that we are blessed with an incredible team - all of who are not only lovers of all things fashion, but are also major foodies. so naturally, our blog posts must include the occasional restaurant picks and favorite recipes!!
mom-teacher-kodomo-all-star team member lora shares her favorite recipe to make with her little two year old emmeline, who also happens to be so strong willed and insists on having everything done her way. sound familiar? yup....which makes it challenging at times to “assist” in the kitchen. but with lora's banana bread recipe, it’s easy enough for littles ones to help and feel in charge - without too much risk :)
what if your terrible two was actually allowed to dump her food without it creating an absolute (and in some cases permanent) mess? what if the outcome of a toddler game was a super delicious loaf of honey banana bread with NO SUGAR that would spare you a snowstorm re-enactment in the kitchen?
this “dump & stir” recipe is sure to give your littles the impression that they have turned over their badge as sous chef (which they never wanted anyway) and have officially been promoted to executive chef(s). for strong willed, independent and, albeit, mischievous little kiddos this recipe will create moments of guilty bliss they won’t even believe you’re letting them take part in.
for a change, it might be nice not to have to stage a spill of their own food just to get your attention (while you’re having all the fun baking). just prep the ingredients into small cups and hand over the spatula (and a bit of control). let them dump and stir to their hearts’ desire. They’re going to love every second, and you’re going to love every bite.
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ medium or 2 large bananas
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more to swirl on top
- 1 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour
- ¼ to ½ cup mix-ins like chopped walnuts or pecans, chocolate chips, raisins, chopped dried fruit... the more mix-ins, the more the fun!!!
INSTRUCTIONS - you and your kiddo will need a large bowl, a whisk and a big wooden spoon
- preheat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit (165 degrees celsius) and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- in a large bowl, pour the oil and honey together with a whisk.
- add the eggs and beat well —> give kiddo the honey cup to lick so you can do this part.
- then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
- add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon, and whisk to blend.
- switch to a big spoon and stir in the flour, just until combined. some lumps are ok! If you’re adding any additional mix-ins, gently fold them in now. (toddler hands are experts at gently folding ingredients in ;)).
- pour the batter into your greased loaf pan (optional: sprinkle a bit of cinnamon overtop).
- bake for about 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- let it cool, scream HURRAY because you did something together that didn’t make you want to cut and run, and enjoy every bite with your precious, terribly wonderful two.
recipe simplified from https://cookieandkate.com/2015/healthy-banana-bread-recipe/#tasty-recipes-23985